9/21/2010

Stock Market Near a Peak

Today I’m revisiting my thesis from a few months ago that the stock market is in a bearish formation. Though it has rallied quite strongly over the past month, I think this strength is nearly exhausted. This is confirmed by technicals as well as sentiment.

092110_spy_daily 

First, check out the SP500 E-mini chart above. I see a very clear 5-wave leading diagonal, followed by a very clear 3-wave upward correction. At a minimum, we need to see a drop below 1,000 to complete this pattern.

092110_spy_daily_mini

Meanwhile, sentiment is very bullish. I have seen many bloggers commenting about the Head and Shoulders formation above, but everyone keeps talking about them and nothing ever follows through. Also, bloggers are very bullish in general, and bullish sentiment is at multi-month highs!

Conditions look ripe for a decline!

No comments: